If you have pets, you must be mindful of the plants you bring into your home to ensure they are safe for your furry friends. Some plants can be toxic to pets if ingested, so it's important to choose plants that are non-toxic to cats and dogs. Many indoor plants bring beauty and greenery to your home. It's important to do your research and choose plants that are non-toxic to cats and dogs.
Top 5 pet-friendly indoor plants
Luckily for us green-lovers, there is a great deal of indoor plants that are completely harmless to pets. Here's a top 5 of beautiful indoor plants that please both homeowner and pet.
- Echeveria: Echeveria is a large genus of succulent plants in the family Crassulaceae, native to semi-desert areas of Central America. They are popular houseplants due to their attractive rosette shape and colourful foliage, which ranges in shades of green, blue, pink, and purple. Echeveria plants are drought-tolerant and thrive in sunny, well-draining locations. There are over 150 species of Echeveria, each with its own unique characteristics and colouration. From the compact, purple-leaved Echeveria Purpusorum to the tall, green-leaved Echeveria Setosa, there is an Echeveria plant to suit every taste and space. Echeveria is safe to use with pets.
- African Violets: African Violets are a popular type of flowering houseplant native to the tropical rainforests of eastern Africa. They are known for their delicate purple flowers and velvety green leaves. African Violets are small plants, often growing only a few inches tall and wide, making them an excellent choice for those with limited space. It is safe to bring African Violets into your home if you have pets.
- Orchids: Orchids are a type of flowering plant known for its exotic and delicate blooms. There are over 25,000 species of orchids, making them one of the world's largest and most diverse groups of flowering plants. There are many kinds of orchids, ranging from the classic white-flowered Phalaenopsis Orchid to the vibrant, red-flowered Cattleya Orchid. Orchids are pet-friendly indoor plants.
- Calathea lancifolia (Rattlesnake plant): The Rattlesnake plant, also known as Calathea Lancifolia, is a type of tropical flowering plant native to the rainforests of South America. It is known for its distinctive, elongated leaves that are patterned with dark green stripes and edged with a contrasting, light green colour. The leaves of the Rattlesnake plant are typically around a foot long and have a wavy, undulating appearance that gives the plant its name.
- Bromeliad: Bromeliads are tropical flowering plants native to the rainforests of Central and South America. They are known for their colourful, long-lasting flowers and ability to thrive in bright, indirect light. Bromeliads are pet-friendly plants, making them an excellent choice for those with furry friends at home. A Bromeliad is the right choice if you want to bring in an indoor pet-friendly plant.
Buy pet friendly plants at The Plant Room
When shopping for pet-friendly indoor plants, look for varieties that are non-toxic to cats and dogs, such as Spider plants, Pothos, Boston Ferns, Peace Lilies, and Rubber Plants. We advise you to do a little research before making a purchase. Naturally, our in-house experts are more than happy to point you in the right direction when looking for pet-friendly plants.