The Sansevieria trifasciata, commonly known as the snake plant, mother-in-law's tongue, viper's bowstring hemp, or Saint George's sword is a popular houseplant that has become a staple in many homes around the world. This plant is native to West Africa and can grow up to several feet tall requiring very little maintenance, making it a perfect addition to any home.
The snake plant is known for its unique appearance. It has long, upright leaves that are a deep shade of green and are covered in distinctive light green, grey, or white banding. These leaves are thick and leathery, which helps them to retain water, making them an ideal plant for those who are not able to water their plants frequently. The plant's roots can adapt to a wide range of soil conditions, making it easy to care for.
A great addition to your home
The snake plant is very easy to care for. It is a low-maintenance plant that can tolerate a wide range of conditions, making it perfect for those who are new to plant care or have busy lifestyles. Here are some tips to help you care for your snake plant:
- Water: Snake plants do not need to be watered often. It is important to allow the soil to dry out completely between waterings. Overwatering can cause the roots to rot, so it is best to err on the side of caution and water less frequently.
- Light: Snake plants can tolerate a range of light conditions, from low to bright indirect light. It is best to keep the plant away from direct sunlight, as this can burn the leaves. As it can tolerate low light conditions it will thrive in a bathroom with little natural light.
- Soil: Snake plants are not too picky when it comes to soil. It can grow in a range of soil types, as long as the soil is well-draining.
- Temperature: The snake plant is a tropical plant that prefers temperatures between 15°C to 32°C. It can tolerate lower temperatures but may suffer in cold draughty spots.
A houseplant with a history
The snake plant is an excellent air purifier. It can remove toxins such as benzene, formaldehyde, and trichloroethylene from the air, making it perfect for those who suffer from allergies or respiratory problems.
- Sansevieria is one of the few plants that are NASA approved for air purification in space stations.
- According to folklore, the snake plant is said to bring good luck and wealth to the home.
- There are over 70 varieties of snake plants, each with their unique appearance and characteristics..
Buy your Sansevieria trifasciata at The Plant Room
If you're looking to add a snake plant to your collection, head to The Plant Room in Richmond. We have a great range of foliage plants to choose from, including rare varieties, and the knowledgeable staff can help you find the perfect plant for your space. With the right care, your snake plant will thrive and bring beauty and health benefits to your home for years to come.